johnnysbird
Alice van Grutten

31.10.11

HAUTE VISIONARY


David Dunan
Visionary image-maker David Dunan is not your average fashion insider – not only did he grow up in the idyllic and remote Scottish countryside where he’d “never actually seen a McDonalds” until studying in Edinburgh at 17, but originally studied interior architecture before even considering working with a camera. The London-based photographer’s career in fashion came as an unexpected, but fortuitous, turn for the self-described “pure country boy”, where almost immediately his bold and captivating images found a home among the pages of fashion’s most luminary titles including Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar. The illustrious man behind the lens lets Sex & Fashion into his world of women, clothes and “magic”…


Indigo Clarke: Tell us about your photographs, who you shoot for and what your work is all about…

David Dunan: Better that other people tell you what my photos are all about! Women, clothes and as much ‘magic’ as I can muster. I heard someone describe me as ‘mystical’ and I still can’t work out what he meant! My main editorial this last year has been for Vogue Italia, but I also shoot for Vogue Hommes and I did a few things for Vogue Turkey last season.

Indigo Clarke: How did you get started, and what was it that drew you to photography?

David Dunan: In a very roundabout way: I studied interior architecture, moved to Barcelona once I graduated and, not having enough language to pursue architecture, the photography kind of happened instead. I’ve always been obsessed with fashion, beauty, the way people present themselves to the world and I had an unhealthy obsession with fashion imagery thanks to vogue italia, i-D, Dutch (RIP). I’d also styled and photographed sisters and friends since I could use a camera, so it probably wasn’t too big a leap to start to try to do it professionally, no?

Indigo Clarke: In many ways, sex and fashion go hand in hand – do you use an element of ‘Sex’ in your images?

David Dunan: I find that ‘sexy’ is often an easy, go-to vocabulary in fashion and it can get a little boring (heels, ass, cleavage, hand on hips, dead eyes, parted lips, high contrast, blah-blah). Helmut Newton did it better than anyone- he practically invented ‘sexy’- but he had a depth and an obsession behind it that made it unique and compelling.

‘Sexual’ is more interesting than ‘sexy’, but I suppose I see it as one of a woman’s many characteristics, not the defining one. I don’t know, I’m interested in a little more depth- the women who inspire me are intelligent and self-possessed and seduce in a more subtle way: they are desirable and desired but understand that you don’t put it all on show as if it’s all you’ve got.

Indigo Clarke: What is one of the most exciting or unforgettable shoots you’ve done?


David Dunan: God… Loads of them, but recently a client had a health scare in some sand dunes in 40ยบ heat and I really thought she was going to die in front of me! That was a new one: thankfully she recovered quickly and completely. Also, shooting Daria Werbowy last month: great to work with someone who you’ve seen portrayed in so many ways and try to squeeze something different out of her! She had presence, which we always like.


Indigo Clarke: Biggest career highlights?

David Dunan: I suppose being welcomed into the VI famiglia (at least I think/hope I am!) they were my bible when I was younger. Trite as it sounds, being able to maintain a career is really a highlight. I love going to work!

 
Indigo Clarke: Tell us something unexpected about you…

David Dunan: Unexpected? I’m a pure country boy, born and brought up in the very north of Scotland. I’d never seen a McDonalds until I went to study in Edinburgh when I was 17!

David Dunan
David Dunan
David Dunan
David Dunan
David Dunan
David Dunan
David Dunan

No comments:

Post a Comment